Sewage Treatment Plant for 346 Villas at Makan, Hatta, UAE
- Client: Wade Adams Contracting (LLC)
- End User: Mohammed Bin Rashid Housing Establishment
- Location: Hatta
- Plant type: Sewage Treatment Plant
- Capacity: 1,120 m3/day
- Final use: Landscape Irrigation
- Contract type: Design, manufacturing, delivery, installation and testing and commissioning
In response to his HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum's directions to provide appropriate housing for the Emirate of Dubai's citizens, and cater for their good welfare and living necessities, the Mohammed Bin Rashid Housing Establishment was set up to provide a bunch of housing services such as granting government constructed houses, residential plots, and housing loans, to say the least. The goal was to meet the expectations and needs of the Emaratis in order to achieve family stability, which in turn reflects on the society and enhances the civilized image of the Emirate of Dubai in particular, and the Country in general. The Makan is one of these initiatives where the Establishment constructed 346 houses for distribution to local families. The project encompasses complete facilities, including a sewage treatment plant which Corodex Industries was entrusted to design and construct.
Proximity to the housing development coupled with the remoteness of the location meant that only a robust process could be used and odor emissions controlled. Corodex’s design considered proper provision to ensure that the treated effluent meets the discharge limits for unrestricted irrigation, and is safe for human contact. For this purpose the choice fell on the robust activated sludge process followed by tertiary filtration and disinfection, which reduces organic material and nutrients, and significantly removes various viruses and phages.
Scope of Work
The project was a turnkey one that included design, supply, delivery to site, installation, testing and commissioning of a 1,120 m3/day sewage treatment plant.
The scope of supply includes the following:
- Remote and local lift stations
- Pretreatment system
- Balancing tank
- Anoxic tank
- Biological reaction tank
- Post treatment disinfection system
- Support and common facilities including the control building and operation / administration room
The main components of the plant were:
- Remote and local Sewage lift station pumps
- Intake combined grit removal and automatic screen, w/bypass
- Balancing tank pumps
- Anoxic mixers
- Aeration tank air blowers and diffusers
- MMF system w/FF pumps
- Post-treatment disinfection system
- Sludge treatment unit
- Odour control unit
- MCC, local panels and instrumentation
Corodex successfully completed the project considering all challenges, and the plant was handed over to Dubai Municipality for operation. The anoxic treatment step provided denitrification; and the TSE from the plant, once started, augmented the water used for unrestricted irrigation. Gradually, more water will be reused to cater for the growing needs of the local landscape, thus easing water stress and the dependence on municipality water for that purpose.